River Thames Flooding and what YOU need to do

The Thames Valley is currently suffering unprecedented flooding. The River Thames has burst its banks in numerous areas between Oxford and Richmond, and has caused flood damage across towns and villages across the region, including Abingdon, Wallingford, Wargrave, Henley, Marlow, Cookham, Maidenhead, Staines, and Sunbury, . Hundreds of homes and businesses have been affected by this flooding.

If you have been unlucky enough to have suffered flooding in your home or business premises, please read on.


If your property has been affected by flood damage we would suggest you call your insurance company immediately. If your house is not habitable your insurance company should organise alternative accommodation. Ensure you advise insurers of the severity of the problem and ask for a loss adjuster to be appointed as soon as possible.

Take lots of photographs of the damaged property following the flood and start to make lists of damaged property. Do not only take pictures of the water damaged property, take photographs of the damaged contents as well, such as carpets, furniture, white goods and electrical items.

It is also important you appoint a specialist insurance claims builder AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE to establish the full extent of the damage to the property, and what will need to be done to reinstate your property to the pre-loss condition.


You have a choice in this respect, you can appoint your own builder to carry out the works, or you can choose to use the insurance companies preferred builder. Be careful in this respect as insurance companies rates for their builders are very low. You need to be comfortable with the builder and work along side the building company and not have to contact insurers if there are any other variations to the agreed scope of work.


The drying of your property is the first stage once the property is clear of flood water. This is a very specialist activity and we provide a flood drying service and are able to advise on this. Simply placing de-humidifiers and air heaters in a room will not suffice.

Before any repair works start at your property it is important you establish the details of the reinstatement work required. This is another area we can help as it is extremely important you are happy with the agreed scope of works. Insurers may suggest something to reduce the cost and this is where our skills come in as we will ensure the appropriate best practice is carried out at your property.

Tangible Building Solutions understands the upset and disturbance flooding can cause to property. Whilst we are building claims specialists we are also insurance claims experts regulated by the FCA to carry out claims mediation on behalf of policyholders. We not only carry out the reinstatement work at the property we ensure your insurance company treats you fairly and deals with the claim within the terms of the policy wording.

If you feel you need assistance in handling your insurance claim, please call the office as soon as possible to find out in more detail what we do and to arrange an appointment at your property. All our services are free of charge, and we are locally-based in the Thames Valley with our head office on Windsor.

We will call you back...

...or call one of
our local offices
North East London

0203 675 9119

North West London

01923 604808

South London

0203 617 4489

Thames Valley

01753 840436


01702 410780


01273 789470

Share this page
Tangible Building Solutions, Suite 220, SK House, Vansittart Estate, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1SE. Tel: 01753 840436.  Satellite offices in Croydon, Chigwell, Edgeware, Chelmsford, and Bracknell.

© Tangible Building Solutions LTD 2009

Website by Immedia Creative Ltd